Last updated: September 22, 2021
The above chart and the following notes are based on the relevant provisions of the P.R.C. Constitution, the NPC Organic Law, and the Decision on Establishing the Special Committees of the 13th NPC.
- Each National People’s Congress (NPC) determines the setup of its special committees, which work under its direction. The NPC also appoints their chairpersons, vice chairpersons, and other members—who are all NPC delegates.
- When the NPC is not in session, the special committees work under the direction of the NPC Standing Committee (NPCSC), which may during such period appoint additional vice chairpersons and members of the special committees upon nomination by the Council of Chairpersons. Some members of the special committees are also members of the NPCSC.
- The NPC elects the NPCSC’s constituent members—that is, the Chairperson, Vice Chairpersons, Secretary General, and other members—from its own delegates. The NPCSC reports to the NPC.
- The Chairperson, Vice Chairpersons, and Secretary General form the Council of Chairpersons, which handles the NPCSC’s important day-to-day work. The Chairperson convenes the NPCSC’s sessions.
- The NPCSC appoints members of its working bodies upon nomination by the Chairperson, except as otherwise provided by laws or NPC decisions; and appoints members of the Delegate Credentials Committee upon nomination by the Council of Chairpersons. The General Office works under the direction of the Secretary General.