The following laws take effect on January 1:
- Civil Code [民法典];
- Veterans Support Law [退役军人保障法];
- revised National Defense Law [国防法];
- revised Archives Law [档案法];
- amendment to the National Flag Law [国旗法];
- amendment to the National Emblem Law [国徽法]; and
- Decision on Establishing the Hainan Free Trade Port Intellectual Property Court [关于设立海南自由贸易港知识产权法院的决定] (discussed here).
The NPC Standing Committee (NPCSC) is seeking public comments on the following bills through January 29:
- draft amendment to the NPC Organic Law [全国人民代表大会组织法];
- draft amendment to the NPC Rules of Procedure [全国人民代表大会议事规则];
- draft Rural Revitalization Promotion Law [乡村振兴促进法];
- draft Hainan Free Trade Port Law [海南自由贸易港法];
- draft Anti–Food Waste Law [反食品浪费法];
- draft Anti–Organized Crime Law [反有组织犯罪法];
- draft revision to the Maritime Traffic Safety Law [海上交通安全法]
- draft revision to the Military Facilities Protection Law [军事设施保护法]; and
- draft Law on the Protection of the Status, Rights, and Interests of Military Personnel [军人地位和权益保障法].
Given recent reports that the NPCSC was contemplating Hong Kong-related actions and the fact that it did not hear several routine year-end reports at its recent December session, there is a possibility that the NPCSC would meet for a special session this month.
The NPCSC will convene for its next regularly scheduled session in late February.