The above chart and the following notes are based on relevant provisions of the Constitution and the Organic Law of the National People’s Congress. For more information on the duties and powers of the institutions mentioned, please refer to our Glossary as well as the Constitution and other relevant laws (access from the sidebar).
- Each National People’s Congress (NPC) determines the setup of its special committees, which work under its direction. The NPC also appoints the chairmen (主任委员), vice chairmen (副主任委员), and other members (委员) of the special committees—who are all NPC delegates.
- When the NPC is not in session, the special committees work under the direction of the NPC Standing Committee (NPCSC), which may during such period appoint additional vice chairmen and members of the special committees upon nominations by the Council of Chairmen. Some members of the special committees are also members of the NPCSC.
- The NPC elects from its delegates members of the NPCSC, including the Chairman, Vice Chairmen, Secretary General, and other members. The NPCSC reports to the NPC.
- The Chairman, Vice Chairmen, and Secretary General constitute the Council of Chairmen, which handles important day-to-day work of the NPCSC. The Chairman convenes sessions of the NPCSC.
- The NPCSC appoints members of its working bodies upon nominations by the Chairman and appoints members of the Credentials Committee upon nominations by the Council of Chairmen. The General Office works under the direction of the Secretary General.