This post was updated on April 18, 2023. The original version is archived here.
The 14th National People’s Congress (NPC) held its inaugural session from March 5 to 13. It approved the State Council Institutional Reform Plan [国务院机构改革方案] on March 10, and the following documents on March 13:
- an amendment to the Legislation Law [立法法];
- annual work reports of the State Council, the NPC Standing Committee (NPCSC), the Supreme People’s Court (SPC), and the Supreme People’s Procuratorate (SPP);
- the 2023 National Economic and Social Development Plan and accompanying Ministry of Finance report; and
- the 2023 Central Budget and accompanying National Reform and Development Commission report.
In addition, the NPC adopted a decision to establish the 14th NPC’s special committees on March 5, and voted to fill the following state positions throughout the session:
- March 5: chairpersons, vice-chairpersons, and members of the 14th NPC Constitution and Law Committee and the 14th NPC Financial and Economic Affairs Committee.
- March 10: PRC president and vice-president; chairperson of the Central Military Commission (CMC); and chairperson, vice-chairpersons, and secretary-general of the 14th NPCSC.
- March 11: premier of the State Council; vice-chairpersons and members of the CMC; chairperson of the State Supervision Commission; president of the SPC; procurator-general of the SPP; and rank-and-file members of the 14th NPCSC.
- March 12: vice-premiers, state councilors, departmental heads, and secretary-general of the State Council; and chairpersons, vice-chairpersons, and members of the other NPC special committees.
For the full texts of aforementioned documents (including any English translation), outcomes of the votes (if available), and our related coverage, please see this page.
On March 14, the 14th NPCSC held its first session, at which it appointed five deputy secretaries-general.
The amendment to the Legislation Law (adopted on Mar. 13) took effect on March 15.